Re: Problems with HP-UX Compile of Jade

Subject: Re: Problems with HP-UX Compile of Jade
From: "Lassi A. Tuura" <lat@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:27:07 +0200 (METDST)
|> Attempting to compile jade1_2 on HP-UX 10.2 with gcc v2.7.2.3.  Anyone seen
|> this?

No I have not; it worked fine for me in that configuration.  But perhaps
your gcc was configured without gas?  The messages smell a little like
that.  You might have better luck with gcc configured with --with-gas.
(In case you don't know, in this context `gas' is the GNU assembler from
`binutils' package, not the flammable liquid ;-)

But even if it worked, you might have linking problems with the MIF
backend: for me, the linker complained about out of range branches.  I
think this is caused by the style of instantiating templates in jade,
and including the MIF backend will push the executable size just beyond
the critical threshold.  In any case, compiling with aCC (HP's own C++
compiler; you'll have to pay money for it) using its native template
mechanism worked.  You will have to make some rather trivial code
changes, though (missing `typename' or `this->' in some of the
templates). I've been meaning to send a patch to James on this, but
haven't got around to it.  Maybe later today...

More specifically, I used these settings for aCC:
 WARN     =
 DEBUG    =
 DEFINES  = -DSP_HAVE_BOOL -DSP_DEFINE_TEMPLATES -DSP_ANSI_CLASS_INST \
            -DSP_MULTI_BYTE -DSP_HAVE_SOCKET -DSP_DECLARE_H_ERRNO \
            $(XDEFINES)
 CXX      = aCC -z +p +O2 +Onoinitcheck -Wc,-ansi_for_scope,on \
            -Wc,-nrv_optimization,on
 CXXFLAGS = $(DEBUG) $(WARN)

Cheers,
//lat
--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this is not
necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where they are going