Newbie question: dictionary heads

Subject: Newbie question: dictionary heads
From: "Mariusz Idzikowski" <midzi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 15:15:04 +0200
Hello,

I've just switched from COST to Jade using it as a tool to generate RTF images of a bilingual dictionary that we are working on using SGML. The RTF documents are used for proof-reading, both on-screen and as print-outs. One difficulty that I have encountered is how to implement dictionary-style running heads, i.e. headers featuring the first and last headword on a page. Somebody on dssslist once mentioned that flow object reference values do the trick but, since I'm quite new to DSSSL, I have no idea how they work. The DSSSL specification didn't help me much on this issue, I'm afraid. Previously, in COST, the definition of the header was inserted as a chunk of RTF code at the beginning of the document. Each headword element generated an extra hidden copy which the STYLEREF fields used to display the corresponding running head.

Could anyone on dssslist be willing to help me on this?

The data base looks roughly like this:

<dictionary>
<entry>
<headword>cat</headword>