Re: What SGML Declaration File?

Subject: Re: What SGML Declaration File?
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:50:33 -0400 (EDT)
[Norman Walsh]
> If you have a 'catalog' file in the directory where the <file to
> process> resides, and that catalog specifies
>
>   SGMLDECL path-to-declaration
>
> that's the one that will get used.

This is dangerous advice, especially for XML users (which I think
Chuck is).

If you have such a catalog in effect, the declaration is used for
*all* SGML documents processed?- and your DSSSL stylesheets are SGML
documents.  If the declaration is a superset of the default
declaration (adding name characters, for instance), then it will be
fine, but if it's an XML declaration, your stylesheets will all
suddenly be broken.

The best approach for Jade is to do what Chuck is already doing, and
specify the declaration on the command line.  This can be simplified
with a scripting approach, such as one using make.

-Chris