Re: question about spacing around nested display flow object

Subject: Re: question about spacing around nested display flow object
From: Thomas Corte <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:55:59 +0200 (MESZ)
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Given this input:
>
>   <para>Text2 outside any Block, followed by double blocksep</para>
>   <Block>
>     <Block>
>       <para>Text in Block in Block</para>
>     </Block>
>   </Block>
>
> and this DSSSL:
>
> (element BLOCK
>   (make display-group
>     start-indent: 10pt
>     space-before: 30pt
>     space-after: 30pt
>     (process-children)))
>
> How do I proceed? how much space is there above and below
> "Text in Block in Block"? 30pt or 60pt? I am currently producing 60pt
> in TeX, but James' RTF backend is producing 30pt. If he is right, why?

Section 12.5.4.1 of the DSSSL spec contains some information of
the proposed handling of adjacent display spaces. If one considers
the display spaces of the nested blocks as "adjacent", I think it
should be 30pt here.

> PS Who sent me this example? I have lost your name, whoever you
> are.....sorry!

I sent it. I also intended to send another example instance for
missing element labels (in conjunction with processing-modes), but
didn't find the time to construct one yet. Coming soon...

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation oHG
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        D-44227 Dortmund
     Thomas Corte                       Fon: 0231-9703-0
     thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx          Fax: 0231-9703-200