Re: PI for page break?

Subject: Re: PI for page break?
From: Thomas Corte <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:20:43 +0100 (MEZ)
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / "Glenn R. Kronschnabl" <grk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
> | Can someone e-mail me or post an XML example of how to use a PI to issue a
> | page break for the RTF backend?  Thanks.  I assume it would also work
> | for TeX/MIF, etc.
> |
> | From my understanding, the DTD does not need to mod'd, but the dsssl
> | stylesheet needs an action to fire when it sees the PI, correct?
>
> Seeing the PIs in Jade is quite difficult (because it lacks
> support for a DSSSL feature).  There's no support, for example,
> for a page break PI in my DocBook stylesheets.

Nevertheless, I'd like to know how to force a page break with
the style language, e.g. triggered by a special empty element
within an (non-DocBook) SGML document. The cleanest way would surely
be to make individual simple-page-sequences for all the stuff between
those pagebreak triggers. But this can be quite difficult to
achieve. For a quick and dirty solution, I now simply insert a
huge display-space at the point of the pagebreak, which gives
(at least with JadeTeX) the desired result.

Is there a better way to do this with the style language?

PS: I know that explicit pagebreaks do not fit into the concept
of structural markup, but for my application (making slides from
SGML input) it seems appropriate to me.

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation oHG
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        D-44227 Dortmund
     Thomas Corte                       Fon: 0231-9703-0
     thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx          Fax: 0231-9703-200