RE: DocBook and Jade for Literate Programming

Subject: RE: DocBook and Jade for Literate Programming
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:31:22 -0800
Elliot Kimber
> "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
very kindly replied to my comment

> At 07:46 AM 11/2/98 -0800, Wroth, Mark wrote:
>
> >Have you looked at W. Eliot Kimber's  "Using SGML Architectures and
> >DSSSL to Do Literate Programming"
> >(http://www.sil.org/sgml/kimberDSSSLLitProg.html)?  He appeared to be
> >attacking the same basic problem, although I confess that his
> approach
> >was beyond me (and appears specialized to DTDs, although I may be
> >misinterpreting him badly).

by saying
> Actually, it's for DSSSL specs, not DTDs.  It takes advantage of the
> fact
> the DSSSL processors operate on the DSSSL architectural instance of
> the
> DSSSL spec, not its base markup, so you can put all sorts of things in
> your
> DSSSL spec, like documentation that will be ignored as a result of the
> normal architectural processing that Jade does when it reads a DSSSL
> spec.
>
> This is relevant to literate programming only if you write your output
> processor as an architecture-based process, which might be a good
> idea. You
> could do this with Jade since you can do architecture-based processing
> of
> your input document at no extra cost.
and going on to provide an example of how one might approach such an
implementation.  While I confess I still don't really understand the
underlying process, the example is causing light to shine dimly through
the fog.  If that vague understanding is close, then this
"architectural" approach would appear to make extending and customizing
a literate programming system much easier than  a straight DTD approach
would.  Since I've had to spend a fair amount of time trying to coerce /
choose web systems to do things their authors didn't envision, I find
this attractive.
	Thanks.