Re: TYPE 1 fonts in pdf files generated by jadetex

Subject: Re: TYPE 1 fonts in pdf files generated by jadetex
From: Gerhard Stenzel <stenzel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:56:16 +0000
Some time ago I was posting the following problem.
>Hi everyone,
>
>I try to produce HTML, PS and PDF output from some Docbook SGML files. (I
>think, ) I use the latest versions of Jade,
>Jadetex, Docbook stylesheets, MikTex 1.11. OS is Windows NT.
>I can generate HTML and PS without (obvious) problems. Even PDF works, but the
>files look not very good in
>Acrobat Reader. Under File/Document Info/Fonts only Type 3 fonts are listed. So
>I guess, for some reason the Type 1
>fonts are not found and I can't figure out how to set this up properly.
>Anyone who can give some advice?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>Gerhard Stenzel
If anybody else has the same problem, here is my solution:
pdftex uses a file pdftex.cfg, which contains amongst other things the names of
the map files. One of these files (standard.map)  contains the mapping between
the short names (like pagk8r) and the long Postscript names (like
AvantGarde-Book). And this entry had a leading comment.
Removing the comment helped and now the fonts in my pdf files look as they
should :-)
(Reinstalling MikTex reintroduced the problem, so I guess this must be a
feature of MikTex ...)

There are few other problems now, but that is another story ..

Best regards,
Gerhard Stenzel