Re: strange tag problem with jade

Subject: Re: strange tag problem with jade
From: Matt Gushee <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:33:58 +0900
hanche+dsssl-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

 > - "Andreas Rittershofer" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

 > That's a feature, not a bug.  What jade is doing here is trying to
 > avoid adding whitespace of its own to any of the elements in the
 > output.

Ah, that makes it a bit clearer. This is something I've wondered
about, too. I knew it wasn't a bug, but couldn't quite figure out
other explanations I've heard.

When you say, "avoid adding whitespace to the elements," I'm thinking
you mean "to the *content* (PCDATA) of the element" -- i.e., that if
Jade put a newline after the start tag of an element, a browser (or
other app) could read it as extra white space that the author didn't
intend to put there, whereas a newline inside the tag is ignored. Have
I got it right?

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan