A Difficult Problem - The Solution

Subject: A Difficult Problem - The Solution
From: Chuck Darney <cdarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:58:21 -0500
About a month ago I posted about a problem I was having reusing text
with text entities that change throughout the instance.  I want to take
this opportunity to thank all who helped with this problem.  I think I
have a workable, albeit not perfect, solution.

Many many thanks to:
Norman Walsh http://nwalsh.com/
Dave Peterson  SGMLWorks!
Matthias Clasen
Tony Graham   http://www.mulberrytech.com
Paul Prescod  http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco
W. Eliot Kimber  http://www.isogen.com  (DOVALUEREF almost did it)
John D. Rice  http://www.isogen.com
Alexander Taranov  (your code worked perfectly!)
G. Ken Holman  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/d/

My apologies if I missed anyone!

Brief Restatement of the Problem:
Using the files below, I needed to use the same text block (referenced
as a file entity) multiple times in an instance.  Each time the text
block was used, a different value for the embedded text entity changes.

Standard Jade processing doesn't handle such processing.

<!DOCTYPE CGIDELIV SYSTEM 'c:\engine\CGIDELIV.DTD' [
<!ENTITY NSDCL015.001 SYSTEM 'h:\$sgmltxt\md_tl\NSDCL\NSDCL015.001'>
<!ENTITY CLASS_ID '1'>
<!ENTITY CLASS_ID '2'>
<!ENTITY CLASS_ID '3'>
<!ENTITY CLASS_ID '6'>
]>
<cgideliv Type = Policy>
&NSDCL015.001;
&NSDCL015.001;
&NSDCL015.001;
&NSDCL015.001;
</cgideliv>

*************************
*** file reference in the file entity
*************************

<!-- Fragment document type declaration subset:
ArborText, Inc., 1988-1998, v.4001
<!DOCTYPE CGIDELIV PUBLIC "CIGNA Group Insurance//DTD CGI
Deliverables//EN">
-->
<fragref>NSDCL015.001</fragref>
<nonstand>
<title>ADEA IS NONE FOR BASIC AND/OR VOLUNTARY LIFE FOR CLASS
&CLASS_ID;</title>
instructions.</p>
</nonstand>

By using SUBDOCs, I was able to do this.  It also took some "fixing" of
the text blocks being used..  I lost the ability to use non-compliant,
incomplete text blocks (like I would use file entities for). I haven't
found a way to automatically generate a Table of Contents.  I get breaks
in some places I don't need them.  Overall, though, the problems are
pretty much cosmetic.

I can provide anyone interested a working set of test files if anyone is
interested.

Thanks again to all.

Chuck Darney
cdarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx