Re: Empty XML elements and Jade/NSGMLS

Subject: Re: Empty XML elements and Jade/NSGMLS
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:24:48 -0500 (EST)
At 13 Nov 1998 16:37 -0500, STE MARIE,  PAUL wrote:
 > Is there any good mechanism to get Jade and other SP-based tools to
 > recognize the XML <tag/> syntax for empty tags? I set up the environment
 > variable as specified in the docs:
 >
 > SP_CHARSET_FIXED=YES
 > SP_ENCODING=XML
 > SGML_CATALOG_FILES=d:\jade\test\pubtest\xml.soc
 >
 > and passed the -wxml parameters, but I still get a "character data is not
 > unless I change the DTD to allow non-empty elements.

It looks like what you have should work, and I know that Jade does
work with XML-style empty tags.

Try using -cxml.soc on the Jade command line to specify the xml.soc
catalog file in the Jade distribution (although you will need to
adjust the path to xml.soc).  This catalog file references xml.dcl as
the SGML Declaration of choice, and xml.dcl contains the correct
incantation ('NESTC "/"') to enable recognition of XML-style empty
tags.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632