Re: Recognizing "subdocuments"

Subject: Re: Recognizing "subdocuments"
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 16:05:16 -0600 (CST)
W. Eliot Kimber said:

> >   Section 9.5 (in the "groves" chapter) talks about generating
> >"auxiliary groves" via an "auxiliary parse", and that the DSSSL engine
> >should generate a urefnode property for each new node called "source"
> >which points back to the nodes in the "source grove" from which the
> >node was generated.  So, this could be one solution (if implemented
> >in the engine).  The question would be, would the sgml-parse function
> >qualify as an "auxiliary parse"?
>
> An auxiliary grove is a grove constructed by processing other nodes in a
> grove or groves. The sgml-parse function is not processing nodes but source
> (non-grove) data to construct a new grove that is not an auxiliary grove.
> Examples of auxiliary groves are architectural instance groves, groves
> constructed by parsing character data into nodes (e.g., data tokenizer
> groves as defined by the HyTime standard), etc.
> So no joy there.

   I guess it depends upon how you define "parse".  If the document
that you're running sgml-parse on is named in the value of a node in
the existing grove, then would it not be reasonable to say that the
SGML Document node in the resulting grove would be the result of a
"parse" of the node which contained the reference?  Therefore, the
SGML Document node would contain the "source" property as defined in
Section 9.5.

-Brandon :)