Re: What Happened to &#TAB; ?

Subject: Re: What Happened to &#TAB; ?
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 13:24:51 -0500 (EST)
At 3 Dec 1998 10:49 -0500, Chuck Darney wrote:
 > I used to be able to use the shortref "&#TAB;" to produce a horizontal
 > tab in my output.  Obviously, I've done something to lose this ability.
 > What would allow me to use this shortref?

Does your SGML Declaration include "SHORTREF NONE" or "SHORTREF
SGMLREF"?

&#TAB; is one of the short reference delimiters in the "reference
delimiter set" defined in ISO 8879.  "SHORTREF NONE" disables use of
the delimiters in the "reference delimiter set", whereas "SHORTREF
SGMLREF" enables them.

The other thing to check is whether "TAB" is declared as a function
character.  The typical function character portion of the SGML
Declaration is:

FUNCTION RE                13
         RS                10
         SPACE             32
         TAB      SEPCHAR   9

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632