Global Variables and JADE vs OMNIMARK

Subject: Global Variables and JADE vs OMNIMARK
From: Mike Sosteric <mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 21:02:06 -0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
Man Jade rocks. Once you get past the steep learning curve and conceptual loop that
scheme throws to C programmers. Anyway, I digress

I have a simple question. Is is possible to extract data from an element
(at an arbitrary depth in the doc instance) and assign it to a global variable something
like this pseudo code maybee

(define  %text-for-footer% 'publishers 'name 'webaddress)

also, I currently use OMNIMARK to get SGML -> HTML conversion. But it
seems to me that JADE would be good for this, and I've heard JADE has
a pseudo transformation language suitable for this. Does anybody have an example of
using that to transform SGML -> HTML. Preferably the example would give examples
of how to extract data from the grove at arbitrary points in the transformation.

thanks for everyone who has helped me so far

mike

--
Mike Sosteric <mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>       Editor, EJS <http://www.sociology.org/>
Department of Global and Social Analysis  Executive Director, ICAAP <http://www.icaap.org/>