Re: underscores in XML tags

Subject: Re: underscores in XML tags
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:28:03 -0500 (EST)
At 8 Dec 1998 08:47 -0500, Chuck Darney wrote:
 > Linda van den Brink wrote:
 > > I ( - still a newbie) am using Jade + DSSSL to convert a large number of
 > > well-formed XML files to HTML format. I'm having a problem with some of the
 > > tags I use because they contain the underscore ('_') character. I get
 > > parsing errors saying that this character is not allowed in start tags or
 > > end tags.
 > >
 > > However, according to the XML specification (sec 2.3) this character is
 > > allowed in XML tag names. Can I get Jade to accept it? I don't know how to
 > > configure Jade for XML input, but until I started using underscores I didn't
 > > have any problems...
 > >

 > This is the response I got from Tony Graham when I asked the same
 > question.

You asked a similar question, but the difference is that Linda is
using XML, for which there is a fixed SGML Declaration, whereas you
were using SGML and I made the assumption that you could change your
SGML Declaration.

The solutions offered by Sebastian Rahtz and Norman Walsh that show
you how to reference the SGML Declaration for XML should be followed.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632