Re: Problem with Japanese language

Subject: Re: Problem with Japanese language
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:46:04 +0900
>Sorry for my ignorance but how can I modify LCNMSTRT and UCNMSTRT? can you
>just give me an example of how to set that. Is it set by a markup? if yes
>how the markup looks like? should I include this in the document prolog
>(i.e. before the doctype declaration)?

Use the attached file.  It is the SGML declaration for XML documents that came with jade a few versions back.  I don't understand the difference with the current xml.dcl (maybe someone could elucidate), but I recall having problems using it with Japanese documents, and I use this one every day to process Japanese.  Also, you need to specify the encodings for each file.  Maybe SP_ENCODING serves the same purpose, but I do it inside system identifiers (incl. the command-line, entity declarations, catalogs, etc.):

  jade -d "<osfile encoding=euc-jp>dsl.dsl" xml.dcl "<osfile encoding=sjis>sgm.sgm"

--FC