Re: link flow object

Subject: Re: link flow object
From: Thomas Corte <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:00:39 +0100 (MEZ)
On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Thomas Corte <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
> | Message #1887 and #1896 in the dssslist archive state that is is
> | not possible to attach an address (for use with a link FO) to
> | a generated FOT - this makes it impossible to e.g. create a link
> | from a DocBook footnote reference to the actual footnote.
> |
> | Should this be considered a design error of DSSSL?
>
> I'm not sure what you're shooting for, but you can use the link
> flow object to make intra-document links.  The XREF elements do
> this in the print stylesheet (so do a number of other things,
> like the toc builder).

The link flow object works well as long as I can supply the right
destination using (node-list-address <snl>), which is possible
under most circumstances.

The problem is that in the case of footnotes, I want to create a
link from the footnote reference within the text to the footnote
text which is located at the end of the main text together with the
other footnotes (which are indeed endnotes here). That is, I am
creating a link FO with the superscripted footnote number when the
footnote node is normally processed,
and some other FOs at the end of the main text when the footnote
nodes are processed again (using select-elements etc.).
However, I cannot specify the "address" of these additional FOs
as the target of the link - if I use (node-list-address <footnote node>),
I simply get a link to footnote reference, that is, the place where
the footnote node was located in the SGML source. With that, all I
can create is the reverse link from the endnote text to the endnote
reference in the text, which is not THAT useful :)

Messages #1887 and #1896 discussed this problem already - I simply
want to clarify whether DSSSL is "broken by design" here, or if
I am missing something.

     |       |
     | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation oHG
      -------                           Technologiepark
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        D-44227 Dortmund
     Thomas Corte                       Fon: 0231-9703-0
     thomas@xxxxxxxx                    Fax: 0231-9703-200