XLink/XPointer "go live" (Was RE: xlxp-dev: XLink recommendation status)

Subject: XLink/XPointer "go live" (Was RE: xlxp-dev: XLink recommendation status)
From: Ralph Ferris <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:10:58 -0500
Note: Because HyBrick supports DSSSL, I am cross-posting to the DSSSL list.

At 08:18 PM 2/10/99 -0500, on xlxp-dev, Sam Hunting wrote:
>	If not "when", then how about "what"?
>
>	We have the statement "advancing the ... draft specifications to the
>status of ... recommendations is dependent on the requirements expressed in
>these documents"
>
>	Would you read that statement --
>
>	this way (a) "the requirements are being retrofitted to the
>unmodified drafts"
>
>	or this way (b) "the drafts are being reworked from first
>principles"
>
>	With option (a), one could expect the xlink syntax to remain
>reasonably stable. With option (b), not.
>
>	Naturally, if you can't answer this question, you won't. TIA either
>way.
>
>	Sam Hunting

Of course, there's nothing I can do about W3C's policies in regard to the
release of information on working group activities. Speaking from a company
standpoint, I can only say that we're not tearing up any code. To make the
point, I've put some files with XLink/XPointer declarations in them up on
the HyBrick Web site at http://www.fsc.fujitsu.com/hybrick/. These files
are intended to be accessed over the Web.

In the original announcement of HyBrick V0.80, I down played HyBrick's Web
capabilities. That's because this version - the one that's currently
available - does not support proxy servers. So file retrieval over the Web
using HyBrick is at the moment problematic. If your network access
environment allows you to though, you can see XLink and XPointer at work
over the Web by downloading HyBrick and pointing it at:

http://www.fsc.fujitsu.com/hybrick/hubdoc-1.xml

HyBrick doesn't currently have a download progress indicator. If something
is happening though, you'll see the status message "Parsing and
FOT-Building" in the window frame.

When processing is complete, you'll see the title "Remote XLink/XPointer
Demo" in blue on a red background. Left click on the title and a selection
box will drop down. The box has three choices:

1) HyBrick Web Page: This option points to the start (the title, to be
specific) of the Hybrick Web Page, a slightly modified version of the
HyBrick download announcement page.

2) HyBrick Page Offset: This option points to the second section,
"Features" on the Hybrick Web Page.

3) Hubdocument Title: That's the title of the current page, so selecting it
just keeps you were you are.

If you select option 1), HyBrick Web Page, you'll have the option of:
a) traversing back to the hubdocument
b) selecting the title of the current document (stay where you are)
c) traversing to the sixth section of the current document, "Discussion of
XLink and XPointer Issues." From this location you can:
i)   Traverse back to the hubdocument
ii)  Traverse back to the title of the current document
iii) Select the current page offset (stay where you are)

If you select option 2), HyBrick Page Offset, you'll have the option of:
a) Traversing back to the title of the current document
b) Selecting the current page offset (stay where you are)
c) Traversing back to the hubdocument

To repeat, HyBrick does not currently support proxy servers, so this may
not work from your location. Work is now going on to address this issue and
to make HyBrick technology more available in general.

Best regards,

Ralph E. Ferris
Fujitsu Software Corporation