'In Place' SGML Transformations with Jade

Subject: 'In Place' SGML Transformations with Jade
From: Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:58:37 +0200
I would like to perform 'in-place' transformations with Jade. By 'in-place'
I mean that the target DTD is the same or very similar to the source DTD,
and that I want to return the transformed document to the author for
continued editing.

(This happens when the DTD changes, for example, or if I wish to automate
tagging for 'simple' cases)

The problem is with defaulted attributes. If I modify the 'standard'
identity transformation, I get defaulted attributes specified explicitly in
the target document, and I don't want that. I need something like
'must-omit-end-tag?' for attributes. Now dsssl has a

<propdef irefnode rcsnm=attspec appnm="attribute spec" fullnm="attribute
specification"
datatype=nodelist ac="name ssep gendelm literal attvalue" cn=attasgn
clause="79002">
<when>
The attribute was specified rather than defaulted or implied.

which seems to be exactly what I want, except that it is in the basesds1
module, which Jade does not support.

Is there a workaround that anyone is aware of? How about hacking Jade to
support this property?
Thanks in advance for any help.
- Avi
(While writing this I figured out one way -- to temporarily replace defaults
by #implied in the DTD -- but I'd rather have an elegant hack than an
inelegant one. Anyway this is no longer a showstopper for me)
---
.sig temporarily out of order. we apologize for any inconvenience.