RE: DSSSL future

Subject: RE: DSSSL future
From: John McClure <hypergrove@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:15:06 -0800
My own view is that the ultimate vision of allowing client-selection of
which stylesheet(s) to apply to a given xml/sgml datastream is best by far.
The industry seems to be going in this direction based on the work being
done with HTML 4.0 and XSL. A server side transform only seems to me to be
useful for down-version browsers, i.e., it is a temporary fix to the
problem of people using browsers that are not enabled for style
transformations. I believe that there is so much processing power on the
requestor side that it is practically uneconomic to do transformations on
the server. I say, let the clients do as much work as they can.