RE: DSSSL future

Subject: RE: DSSSL future
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:54:42 -0500
HI Liam

<YourComment>
This is what SoftQuad Panorama did (still does I expect), and probably
any other ViewPort-based SGML browser...

It has a menu of style sheets, and there's a mechanism to associate
stylesheets with menu items on a per-DTD or per-document basis.

It's very effective.
</YourCOmment>

<Reply>
I guess that you are talking about the panorama pro stand alone (not the
browser plug-in). Is that the case? By the way Panorama is no longer
distributed by softQuad. I think that now it is owned by interleaf.
Also, all viewport based software used proprietary style sheets (I mean here
not based on a standard like DSSSL, CSS or DSSSL).

Question: The Talva SGML/XML kit also allows you to associate a stylesheet
per document or per DTDs. But not with a menu. Do you think that to
associate a stylesheet with a menu would be a good thing?

Do you think that the following feature is interesting:
a XML/SGML document publisher includes a set of processing instruction to
points to different style sheets. The browser let you choose with a menu
among these style sheets options. If the XML document includes a DTD (most
XML documents posted on the web will not have any DTD), the menu includes
the DTD style sheet association on top of the publisher list. The user can
choose the style he/she wants. Is that feature useful, not useful, foolish?
</Reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx