RE: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF?

Subject: RE: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF?
From: Horst Kucharczyk <horst@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:33:26 +0100
At 20:14 4/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
Hi Paul,

I know that you can obtain pdf through latex, however, you can agree with me
that the process is not so "straightforward". If you have something that
directly output pdf format without having to go through latex. Would this be
useful? (for example: the time gained by not having to process the document
through several tools).

Speaking for our own situation (3.000-10.000 page volumes) the time gained wouldn't make much difference. It is fast enough as it is. But not having to re-create and debug the TeX formats every time would be something I would welcome. (I know almost nothing of TeX).
So, yes, a direct PDF backend would be welcome.

Horst Kucharczyk

http://users.pandora.be/horst.kucharczyk/

<mailto:Horst@xxxxxxxxxx>, GSM +32-75-256740, <mailto:horst@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Larcier Gent
De Boeck & Larcier n.v.
Coupure Rechts 298
B-9000 Gent, Belgium
direct +32-9-2699791, reception +32-9-2699797, fax +32-9-2699799