RE: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF? (The DSSSList Digest V2 #285)

Subject: RE: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF? (The DSSSList Digest V2 #285)
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:08:34 -0800
I would find a "direct" PDF backend useful.

I can take the existing output of either the RTF or (in principle) TeX
backends to PDF using other tools (e.g. pdfTeX, Acrobat,...).  But these
require me to deploy another set of tools, which is something of an issue
when I am attempting to proliferate use of an SGML/DSSSL system widely.

This is especially true if the other tool is TeX, which is non-trivial in
several ways, not the least of which is disk space.

I've also observed that as the number of parts of the system goes up, the
number of ways it can fail goes up faster...