RE: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF?

Subject: RE: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF?
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:46:23 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Avi Kivity wrote:

> By the way, I peeked into reference-values, and they seem near relatives.
> Anyone has any ideas what they are and what they are useful for?

I didn't notice any answer to this one, so I'll give it a try:-)

One or more reference values may be associated with any flow object. Then
you can ask the formatter to search for the first FO with a certain
referenc value type (see below) on a page, for example.

This is useful to generate dictionary headers, for instance. You may also
use it for running headers with section titles.

There may be many different types of reference values, to allow for both
chapter and section titles in the headers, for example. Note that
reference values may only be used in generated content in page (column)
headers/footers and decoration areas. Also note that reference values may
be used with the general-indirect-sosofo procedure.

There is an example available from http://www.jclark.com showing the use
of reference values for running headers.

I hope this will help at least someone a little:-)

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson

--