RE: DSSSList, Year Two

Subject: RE: DSSSList, Year Two
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 12:35:33 -0500
Comments on DSSSL:

	The 'problem' with DSSSL, in my view, is that the field has been
concentrated primarily on formatting output and not on transformation. XSL
has risen in popularity because of its current concentration on
transformation (there's hardly any formatting work going on at present).
Simple stuff is fine in XSL but as I've attempted to implement more complex
stuff, I find a real need to create XSL constructs analagous to lambda,
defun etc. Once you start to do the equivalent of dsssl/scheme in xml/xsl it
starts to get really really ugly.

	Suppose Jade were given a new personality: an XML version with the
pattern/matching query language support i.e. DSSSL + XQL?

	Alternatively suppose the stuff inside <xsl:eval> where scheme? The problem
clearly is not the parens ... look at any xsl sheet and tell me it is easy
to read! rather the problem is the lack of focus on outputting HTML which is
what the world wants to do whether or not you agree. I suggest direct
XML/HTML output not requiring a back-end just as XSL can do without going
through FO.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net