Mixing Stylesheets

Subject: Mixing Stylesheets
From: Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:47:15 +0200
I have several DTDs, and for each an independent style-sheet.

Now I'd like to import a small piece of text from one document into another.
Example:
-- exporter.sgml --

-- importer.sgml --

<blah>blah</blah>
<import idref="exported.table.id">
<blah>more blah</blah>

The requirement is that "exported.table.id" appear embedded in the styled
importer.sgml, using the style rules of exporter.sgml. Of course, all the
<blah> elements are formatted using the style rules of importer.sgml. I can
get to the table using (sgml-parse) and (element-with-id) but...

~~~ The Problem ~~~
The style sheets of exporter.sgml and importer.sgml are conflicting:
- DTD clashes between importer.dtd and exporter.dtd lead to conflicting
element style rules and default rules
- Dsssl function definitions can (and probably do) contradict
~~~ End Problem ~~~

I can see no solution to this problem except the dreaded cut-n-paste plus
some mode wrappers and general hacking.

Any help or idea will be greatly appreciated as I'm totally stuck here.

- Avi