RE: Change starting page number...

Subject: RE: Change starting page number...
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:30:32 -0400
Hi Oisin,

I am interested.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dssslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-dssslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Oisin McGuinness
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 9:32 AM
To: dssslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: oisin@xxxxxxxx; ndw@xxxxxxxxxx

 Norman Walsh asked:

>Is it possible to change the starting page number of a document? Suppose
>I want to print an article and have it start on page 305?

As a practising pedant, I'll try to address all variations of this question
I can think of...

If this means "I want the formatting application to start printing from page
305
of a very long document", then the answer is presumably to be found in the
Print Dialog of the application, and Norman presumably would not have asked
this.

If this means "I'm making RTF output, and I want Word to set up the page
number to begin
with 305", then there is probably some way to do this within Word; if there
are no page numbers already, then
"View->Header/Footer; Insert->Page Numbers -> Format... has a "Start at"
selector.
I've just tried to replace existing (DSSSL generated) page numbers with new
page numbers
which start at somewhere else, and it is messy; too much hand work.

If this means "I want the starting page number on the output to be 305,
where
the output is RTF, and Word will be printing, but little futzing in Word is
desired",
then I have implemented a solution as a patch to Jade. (This was needed in
the course of a conversion project from ArborText's "The Publisher" to Word;
we had
many legal documents that were addenda to, or components of other documents,
and which
had to preserve page numbering.) It is fairly straightforward, it is defined
as an extension
(like Jade's other RTF specific extensions), which I called
"page-number-start", simply
define a value when making your simple-page-sequence, and the appropriate
RTF magic code
(\pgnstartsNN) is inserted in the right place. I submitted it to James Clark
in October 97, who
expressed a preference for the name "first-page-number" instead, but it has
not made it into Jade
yet, so presumably not many people have needed this.

I can send the diffs to RtfFOTBuilder.cxx to anyone who wants this; I've
used this on both NT and
Digital Unix, and have built it into all recent Jade versions without
problems.

Oisin McGuinness
Sumitomo Bank Capital Markets
277 Park Avenue