Re: sgml -> * output file name control

Subject: Re: sgml -> * output file name control
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:00:24 -0500
Quoting Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> We took a hard look at Norm's system which he uses for output file
> naming control.  Anyone can take a look at that system, in particular,
> HTML file naming in Norm's docmentation.  Norm uses these variables:
>
>   %html-ext%
>   %use-id-as-filename%
>   %root-filename%
>
> However, this scheme did not meet our requirements...

   Just as an off-the-top-of-the-head idea, without really getting
into how Norm is doing things now, what about going for something
even more flexible than Adam's suggestions.
   Norm, how hard would it be to delegate output filename generation
into a separate routine which could be overridden via a driver file?
This routine would be called anytime a new filename is needed, and
could use basic SDQL calls to determine where it is in the process,
and construct an appropriate filename.
   Just a thought (and fairly half-baked, at that)...

-Brandon :)