Re: About the source library

Subject: Re: About the source library
From: Glauber Ribeiro <glauber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:21:32 -0500
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Glauber Ribeiro writes:
>  > address to distribute beta versions of Jade with changes. It would be
>  > especially nice to have Jade implement the full DSSSL spec, and from
>  > what people have posted, it seems to be very close now. Maybe someone
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I am not sure why you think this. Jade does not implement the
> transformation language, of course; but more importantly it goes
> nowhere for complex page models. I was not aware that anyone was
> considering that. in its present state, it severely limits the
> usefulness of Jade for serious typesetting. If all you want it for is
> (SG|X)ML to HTML transformation, might as well go with the crowd and
> use XSLT ("excess, light", as it might be aptly named)

Well, reading the recent emails about patches, i had the impression that
one of the posters mentioned he had implemented most of the DSSSL spec.
I  may have read more than what was there.

Jade is still the only game in town for SGML+DSSSL as free software, and
it is a worthy little program. For my purposes, i'd like to be able to
have a system that could take a single source and generate 3 kinds of
output:
(1) print (RTF if it needs be)
(2) hyperlinked PDF
(3) html

Jade is pretty close in all counts. (2) can be done by combining Jadetex
and PDFtex; however, the hyperlinking is still less than what you get
with, say, PDFLaTeX.

Despite all the hype around SML + XSL (which may well transform the way
we write web pages), SGML + DSSSL is still a much more powerful system.

I'm not sure about complex page models, being new to DSSSL. Is this
something that could be incrementally added to Jade?

Glauber
--
Glauber Ribeiro --- Integrated Warehousing Solutions  (IWS)
mailto:glauber@xxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.iws-irms.com