Re: Jade FAQ sorely needed

Subject: Re: Jade FAQ sorely needed
From: Frank Wegmann <wegmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 00:13:46 +0200
On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 11:39:41AM -0400, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> I am currently writing a document form my notes but this is work in
> progress. I am doing a comparison between:
>
> a) CSS
> b) XSL
> c) DSSSL
> d) Omnimark
> e) XScripts ( a language I designed and still in the labs)

[...]

> e) CSS. Easy, compact, fast to learn. This language is less versatile than
> others but has tremendous qualities for browsers rendition. With the
> addition of transformation constructs as in STTS3 (form EDF) it is even more
> powerful. My bet is that this will be the style language of choice for the
> Web.

I second that. I'd use that for a web site promoting DSSSL, since it is
already supported on the client side (albeit weakly) and thus in (quite)
widespread use *today*. The more sophisticated methods currently make a
lot of sense in inhouse documentation systems, where environments could
either be tailored (e.g. for supporting DSSSL) or proprietary systems are
in use.

> I'll keep you informed as soon as the document is finished. You'll be able
> to include it in your FAQ if you want. The process is also very useful for
> me to distinguish between the hypes of evangelists, big pocket marketing or
> religious attitude toward the software.

This is surely an interesting item. Since I'm not be around for about 6 days
(from Saturday onwards) you might put a first version on the AutoFAQ web,
before I integrate it.

Frank

--
Frank Wegmann              voice: +49 234 700 7677 / +49 234 700 2461
Sprachwiss. Institut       fax  : +49 234 7094 137