Re: About the source library

Subject: Re: About the source library
From: Ron Ross <ronross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 22:04:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 6 May 1999, Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thursday, May 06, 1999 10:22 AM, Ron Ross [SMTP:ronross@xxxxxxxxx]
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 6 May 1999, I wrote:
>> > Going on-screen means there no longer is a file format. The FOT,
>> > instead
>> > of being translated into text or binary byte strings, is
>> > translated into
>> > the native API of whatever is doing the display. The ability to
>> > change
>> > window width dynamically also affects rendering.
>>
>> Phew! I believe this goes some way toward explaining another
>> poster's
>
> Me. A web search shows it's "Scalable Vector Graphics". But I don't
> really get what you're driving at.

I thought from what you described that SVG, in the current discussion,
related to outputting directly to the display. (but don't mind me, I'm
a complete neophyte; and sorry, I was too quick in deleting messages
and couldn't remember who had asked about SVG).

> Maybe you can provide multiple versions: editable RTF, webbable
> HTML, and printable output from the TeX backend or the native
> formatter (when there is one). After all, that's what those multiple
> backends are there for.

Precisely what I meant (after clearing up what the native formatter
might involve). Not a bad choice either;-).

rr
.