RE: indentation (was Re: About the article)

Subject: RE: indentation (was Re: About the article)
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 15:51:15 -0400
Hi Mark

<Comment>
Hmmm.  I'm not sure I understand this, probably because of my limitations as
a DSSSL programmer. I will agree that if "block indentation" implies (or
encourages) an incorrect  view of what the language is doing, that's a
powerful argument against it.
</Comment>

<reply>
explain me why the script below encourage an incorrect view of the language.
(element topic
  (make paragraph
    (process-children)
  )
)

Then explain me (before someone could say this) Why Jade is slower to
interpret this procedure.

Then tell me if, from the point of view of somebody who encountered CSS, the
following script is similar to the same CSS construct. Then, tell me if the
same person would feel confortable when presented with such a script.

CSS:
----
topic {
 display:block
}

Some also write the above expression as:
topic
{
  display: block
}

DSSSL:
------
(element topic
  (make paragraph
    (process-children)
  )
)
Now, if you are somebody 80% to 90% of the programmer population who is used
to block based language tell me if the following construct will look more
familiar to them:

(element topic
  (make paragraph
    (process-children)
  )
)

Then a more complete explaination, tell me how the expression below differ
either from the processing point of view or the syntax point of view (as
defined by the DSSSL grammar)
(element topic
  (make paragraph
    (process-children)
  )
)

compared to
(element topic (make paragraph) (process-children)))
</reply>

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx