Re: indentation (was Re: About the article)

Subject: Re: indentation (was Re: About the article)
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 16:22:16 -0500
Quoting Didier PH Martin <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> OK I understand your idea. Basically your point is to add a UI on top of
> DSSSL. This is a good idea. This has been done for CSS and I believe also
> that this would facilitate a first contact or at least help build basic
> scripts (only fo attributes).

   Well, this isn't quite what I was suggesting.  What I meant was
that it would be possible to lay XSL syntax on top of a DSSSL engine,
thereby providing a "friendlier" (even if it is only a psychological
effect) face without sacrificing the power and flexibility of the
underlying engine.
   Now, obviously only a subset of DSSSL functionality would be
exposed in the XSL syntax (simply because XSL, so far as I'm aware, is
not Turing complete), but if the layering were done right, an XSL user
could just pick up a library of DSSSL functions, copy them into the
right place, add a couple lines of declarations somewhere, and have
access to those functions in their XSL scripts.  The more adventurous
could even begin to write their own DSSSL functions, and the power
users could eventually discover that they don't want to do things in
XSL anymore because DSSSL provides them more power and flexibility, as
well as a cleaner model.

-Brandon :)