Re: About articles on DSSSL usage

Subject: Re: About articles on DSSSL usage
From: Glauber Ribeiro <glauber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 11:30:12 -0500
Avi Kivity wrote:

> On Monday, May 10, 1999 16:44, Glauber Ribeiro [SMTP:glauber@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
> wrote:
> >
> > I maintain a program that has a long documentation of record
> > formats
> > (name, type, length, notes). I would like to create a DTD for this
> > documentation, convert the existing document from plain text to
> > SGML,
> > and use DSSSL to generate user-readable copy. I'll need to learn how
> > do tables with DSSSL before i can finish this,
> >

> Why not have a stylesheet which generates declarations for the records (.h
> files in C), then the docs are always in sync with the code, multiple
> language bindings are easy, etc.

Well, this is not written in C. The documentation is in a rigid text
format, and i have a program which parses the documentation and
generates the database records used by the application. So yes,
the documentation and the database stay in sync.

In my eyes, the text documentation doesn't look bad, but our marketing
people tend to look at them as something from a past generation of
computing.

I'm thinking of converting to SGML because that would still give me
something i can parse (actually, something more precise and less
vulnerable to typos than plain text), and at the same time would allow
me to give "pretty" documentation to the user.

In the future i could also go the other way around: start with the
database records, then write code to generate SGML from the database
data.

Glauber
--
Glauber Ribeiro --- Integrated Warehousing Solutions  (IWS)
mailto:glauber@xxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.iws-irms.com