Jade not using gcc

Subject: Jade not using gcc
From: Norman Gray <norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:51:34 +0100 (GMT)
Greetings,

Has anyone had any success building Jade _not_ using gcc?

I'm trying to build Jade on sparcs (using Sun's SC5.0 compiler set) and
alphas (using Digital C++ v6.0), and in both cases the build falls
over reading include/Vector.cxx, saying

  cxx: Error: ./../include/Vector.cxx, line 21: Vector is not a template
  Vector<T>::~Vector()

(the Solaris compiler says much the same: `Templates can only declare
classes or functions').  Now, I wouldn't claim to be a C++ language
lawyer - far from it! - but my understanding of Stroustrup doesn't
suggest there's anything wrong with Vector.cxx.

I wondered if the compilers just weren't up to it, but these are both
pretty recent versions of the compilers from companies who are relatively
good at that sort of stuff, so I'm reluctant to jump too quickly to
that conclusion.

There's spectacular preprocessor magic going on in Vector.h, NCVector.h
and Vector.cxx: it doesn't _really_ look like it's attempting a
workaround, though.

Has anyone succeeded in building Jade other than with gcc?  Can you
offer words of wisdom, and save much forehead bruising?

[ I will be able to use gcc on these platforms, if necessary, but that
turns out to bring its own set of packaging pains.  Ach.... ]

All the best,

Norman