Re: Help Wanted: DSSSL Analyst

Subject: Re: Help Wanted: DSSSL Analyst
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:34:46 -0400 (EDT)
[James Clark]
> My guess would be that the performance problem comes from applying
> node-list-filter to node-lists that include text.  DSSSL treats each
> character as a single node.  Usually Jade can optimize things to
> maintain that illusion whilst actually dealing with groups of
> adjacent characters as a single block.  Anything that inhibits this
> optimization can run very slowly.  Typically the easiest way not to
> inhibit the optimization is to use select-by-class around the
> argument to node-list-filter, eg
>
> (node-list-filter foo (select-by-class nl 'element))

Spot on!  Cleaning this up in just the filters I had added resulted in
an improvement of sixtyfold!  Moreover, I was perpetrating this crime
in other, less egregious places, and so I'll probably get further
improvements from cleaning those up.

This will make some people very happy... or at least keep them from
ripping off my head.

-Chris