alignment in tables

Subject: alignment in tables
From: Pieter Rijken <pieter.rijken@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:09:07 +0200
I cannot get the alignment of text in tables right.
The table I want to format consists of 3 columns.
Text in the first and third column is left aligned,
while the contents of the second column should be
right-aligned.

An example table in SGML looks like:

  <row>
    <cell>first column</cell>
    <cell>second column</cell>
    <cell>third column</cell>
  </row>

I'm trying to display this as:

first row         second row  third row
\-------/  \---------------/  \-------/
column 1       column 2        column 3

I try to achieve this with the following DSSSL script

(element table
    (make table
;           display-alignment: 'start
           (make table-column
                 display-alignment: 'start)
           (make table-column
                 display-alignment: 'end)
           (make table-column
                 display-alignment: 'start)
           (process-children)))

(element row
    (process-children))

(element cell
    (make table-cell
;          row-cell-alignment: 'end
          (proces-children)))

But this does not work. All columns are left-aligned! I only seem to get
the alignment correct when the 'display-alignment' characteristic for
'make-table' is specified. Unfortunately, this then applies for all three
columns! :-(
Also, the characteristic 'row-cell-alignment' does not do anything!?

What are these alignments for, and why does only the alignment
specified for the entire table seems to work?

BTW, I'm using the TeX backend.

pieter

--
Pieter Rijken                          E-mail: pieter.rijken@xxxxxx

CMG Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.
Division Advanced Technology
Nieuwekade 1-19
P.O. Box 8038                 Phone: +31 30 2339300
3503 RA Utrecht               Fax:   +31 30 2339495
The Netherlands

DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor
            does it represent an official position of, CMG
            Telecommunications and Utilities B.V.