Re: Jade/DSSSL future

Subject: Re: Jade/DSSSL future
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:30:39 +0700
"Frank A. Christoph" wrote:

> > I have sometimes wondered whether I wasted five years of my life
> > doing DSSSL and Jade, but I comfort myself with the astonishing fact
> > that a little bit of their spirit now seems likely to live on in, of all
> > places, Microsoft Windows.
>
> Well, this is a rather astonishing remark of considerable intellectual
> honesty; I'm sure it will echo on in the minds of all the list readers for
> some time to come.
>
> But I'm mystified by the last bit: how are DSSSL or Jade connected to
> Windows?

I think it's fair to say that a bit of the spirit of jade -tsgml and
DSSSL live on in XSLT; Microsoft's XSLT implementation is an integral
part of their XML support (it's in MSXML.DLL), and that is now a
standard part of the Windows system software.  This isn't just a "IE is
part of Windows" marketing thing. They're using XML for system-level
things; for example, the next generation of Plug and Play, which they
call Universal Plug and Play (see http://www.upnp.org/) has devices
using XML to describe their capabilities.  The extent to which Microsoft
has embraced XML never ceases to amaze me.

James