RE: The DSSSList Digest V3 #50

Subject: RE: The DSSSList Digest V3 #50
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:41:48 -0700
I have two comments with regard to the various messages that concatenated
into  V3 #50.

First, I for one would like to see OpenJade (or whatever it winds up named)
continue to support SGML rather than migrate to XML only.  This is selfish
in that *I* use Jade on a document processing suite which can't be directly
re-implemented in XML AFAIK (variant concrete syntax such that {a'} is a
legal entity reference).  It's also based on the observation that there look
to be lots of XML processors at some point in the not too distant future;
while supporting XML in OpenJade makes a lot of sense it would seem to be
chasing a "market" that has many competitors.

Secondly, the proposal to implement a not-so-simple-page-sequence makes a
lot of sense to me. TeX in particular is capable of *much* more than
simple-page-sequence (I'm still not persuaded that it can't do the whole
page-sequence, although that may be a theoretical rather than a practical
discussion --- I'm certainly not volunteering to write a general
implementation).  Perhaps an approach might be to have a TeX backend which
emits macros which then require individual definition?  I'd find that
approach useful (but then, I know more about TeX than I do about DSSSL :-).

Finally, I'd like to thank James for both his thoughtful (and
thought-provoking) reply, and for a very useful tool as it stands.

Mark