Re: jadetex hyphenation problem

Subject: Re: jadetex hyphenation problem
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:45:07 +0100 (BST)
Joerg Wittenberger writes:

 > >> I ran into another problem with jadetex: I realized that my output
 > >> is never hypenated.
 > >>
 > SR> i'd want to see a test file demonstrating this. send me a small
 > SR> .tex file which ends up unhyphenated
 >
 > Here we go.  I'm not supposed to open this to the public.  Please
 > delete it ASAP.

You requested `ragggedright' setting ("quadding" is "start"). When TeX
is in that mode, it does not hyphenate. It _could_ do so, but I am
unclear about whether it _should_. Can someone with an encyclopedic
knowledge of DSSSL guide me?

For the TeXxies, what gets invoked is this:

\def\Q@start{% raggedright, I hope
  \let\\\@centercr
  \rightskip\EndIndent plus 1fil
  \parfillskip\z@skip
  \parindent\z@
}

perhaps someone can remind me how you get "semi-ragged-right", ie
allowing some hyphenation in unjustified lines? I have known how to do
it, but it escapes me just now

Sebastian

PS the file is in my /tmp which will get zapped when I reboot :-}