RE: TeX backend (was re: The DSSSList Digest V3 #50)

Subject: RE: TeX backend (was re: The DSSSList Digest V3 #50)
From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 22:36:42 +0100 (BST)
Wroth, Mark writes:
 > and a stylesheet like
 >
 > (element doc
 >    (make scroll
 >       (make environment type: "document"
 >         (process-children)
 >       )
 > (element frontmatter (make environment type: "front" (process-children)))
 > (element address (make environment type: "address" (process-children)))
 > (element body (make environment type: "body" (process-children)))

oh sure, but this would be a) a million miles from the spirit of DSSSL, b)
limited to Jade, and c) just as easily implemented in XSL + TeXML

 > Such an approach requires the creation of a suitable macro package in TeX,
 > or the adoption of an existing package, and so in some sense violates the
I think that would be no problem at all

 > package.  Nonetheless, *I* would find it a useful alternative; DSSSL
 > provides a flexible method for interpreting the input document (in
 > particular re-ordering, which is a pain in TeX), while the typesetting gets
 > done in a package well suited for that piece of the problem.

is it really much work work to the use SGML backend, and stuff like

(element entity
  (sosofo-append
    (literal "\\SetNote{")
    (literal (attribute-string "set" ))
    (literal "}{")
    (literal (attribute-string "id"))
    (literal "}{")
    (literal (attribute-string "id" (parent)))
    (literal "}")
))

which I just located in a DSSSL style sheet of mine? you can already
write literal TeX. all you are asking for is some wrapping features

Sebastiab