Re: Jade/DSSSL future

Subject: Re: Jade/DSSSL future
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 May 1999 15:20:34 -0400
Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>    So, dare I suggest it, what would it take to adapt this
> intermediate level of functionality into a new (set of, I'd guess)
> DSSSL FOs that would fall between simple-page-sequence and the full
> page-sequence?

I would think that the way to do this is to "pretend" to implement
page-sequence, but really only implement a subset (but a large subset
than the simple-page-sequence offers).  I'd have to study the spec to
see how feasible this is practically...

I think Jame is right to point out that the backend capabilities need
to be exanded (and maybe modularized/pinched off) first, so the horse
can pull the cart and not the other way around.

>    Perhaps a place to start would be to identify some of the problem
> areas which cause TeX to be unable to handle a full page-sequence, or
> is the fundamental design of page-sequence such that it would not be
> possible to "scale it back" to something that TeX could manage?

>From Sebastian's other replies, I would expect that perhaps a
completely new TeX backend might be called for, one which just spits
out raw TeX commands...

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>