Re: Jade/DSSSL future

Subject: Re: Jade/DSSSL future
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 10:38:45 +0800
> The probability to have XSLFO is very very low. We are not working on
> it. This is too much work to reconcile CSS objects and XSLFO objects.

I don't see why it would be. Most of the XSL flow objects in the current
draft are very similar to their CSS counterparts. I would have imagined that
the harder parts of rendering CSS objects would be those parts relating to
formatting in general, independent of whether CSS or XSL flow objects are
being used, so it would be relatively easy to drive the rendering engine
with XSL FOs as well as CSS FOs.

Admittedly, the functionality of XSL FOs will exceed CSS FOs in later
drafts, but I don't see there being any great reconciliation effort needed
by implementors. The XSL WG is doing that work for you.

JamesT