Re: your mail

Subject: Re: your mail
From: Nik Clayton <nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:49:23 +0100
On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 07:33:26AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> | From our point of view, the killer missing feature from our current
> | toolbox is a way to go from DocBook to *roff.  A colleague, Chuck
>
> The RefEntry markup was consciously designed to allow this.

Yep.

> I know there are at least two or three DocBook to *roff converters for
> manual pages.

<nods>  I know about them, and looked at them.

The dilemma I face is this -- I really, really want to avoid having to
document and support a plethora of tools, stylesheets, and stylesheet
languages.  Every new hurdle that gets thrown up is one more barrier to
volunteers actually contributing documentation.

If I can get a system that uses one suite of apps to produce the formatted
output from a single source I'll be a happy man.  Jade is almost there,
except it doesn't do *roff, and I need it for manual pages.  Lynx's
formatting engine isn't good enough for "DocBook -> HTML -> plain text"
to suffice, and it's also too slow (although the equivalent of catman
directories would help this a bit).

As soon as I start installing more formatters I'm moving further away
from the goal instead of towards it.  This is why I'm trying to avoid
using tools like "instant".

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>