SGML entity mgmt stds (was Re: ISUG and DSSSL)

Subject: SGML entity mgmt stds (was Re: ISUG and DSSSL)
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Jun 1999 13:26:55 -0400
Ralph Ferris <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What we need to start developing are Web sites with native SGML and XML
> files, DTDs, and style sheets, with appropriate references set up through
> catalog files. By "appropriate references" I mean at a minimum that the
> DTDs required to process a DSSSL style sheet must be referenced. If the
> files are XML files, the xml.dcl must also be referenced appropriately. In
> the case of HyBrick, I've recently added a file to the distribution called
> HyBrickSetUp\usingHyBrick.xml that explains the file organization
> requirements. I believe these same requirements apply (or will apply) to
> Didier Martin's SGML/XML kit, which is also based on SP and Jade.

I would like to point all SGML/DSSSL authors to the guidelines
published at
<URL:http://www.sgmltools.org/docs/sgml-dir-standard/t01.html>, namely
the "SGML on Unix Directory Hierarchy Standard".

Even thought the SGMLtools project is on the rocks right now, the
standard will live on.  When I get a chance, I'm going to collect some
proposed modifications to that standard.  I would be open to a Win32
user's perspective on how the system could possibly be extended so
that some parity is brought between a Windows setup and a Unix setup.

Several operating systems such as Debian GNU/Linux provide their own
SGML entity management subsystem.  However, general community-wide
acceptance of file/directory standards is a good thing.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>