Re: DSSSL Procedure Library -- no code shipped

Subject: Re: DSSSL Procedure Library -- no code shipped
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:45:30 -0400 (EST)
At 12 Jun 1999 13:51 -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
 > It seems curious to me that the DSSSL Procedure Library from
 > <URL:http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dsssldoc/procedures.html>
 > doesn't actually ship the procedures as DSSSL files which can be
 > easily integrated.

I posted a simple stylesheet for extracting <ProgramListing> elements
from DocBook SGML back in July 1997.

Dave Pawson twigged me about the same thing back in March, and on his
suggestion I removed a duplicate procedure definition and fixed a few
other errors.  Unfortunately I didn't get it to the point of updating
the procedure library on the web site before I got sidetracked onto
other things.  With apologies to Dave for taking so long, the updated
procedures library is now available.

The current version includes a stylesheet for extracting the
<ProgramListing> elements.  I also have a Cookbook item from Dave
about how he does the same thing.

 > Is the assumption that having an external file for these libraries
 > isn't functional?  Based on what Norm does with his library of common
 > functions, I would think a separate DSSSL files with all the procedure
 > definitions would be a much more convenient form of shipping the
 > procedures?

I would describe it as functional (as in "it works", not as in
"functional programming"), though I've never been sure what effect it
would have on Jade's startup time.

There have been other efforts at literal programming using DSSSL that
go beyond the mere functional.  I suggest that you search the archive
for "literate programming" for more information.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632