Re: SGML entity mgmt stds (was Re: ISUG and DSSSL)

Subject: Re: SGML entity mgmt stds (was Re: ISUG and DSSSL)
From: Cees de Groot <cg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:13:06 +0200
>How to keep two versions of docbook in DTD directory?
>E.g. 3.0 SGML and the XML one?

I have .../sgml/dtd/docbook/3.0, 3.1, ...

>Suggest DTD's be placed on an owner basis, so that
>we see such as OASIS and DAVENPORT.

That's another way to store documents that are locatable by pubids,
indeed (I'd do: .../sgml/pubid/oasis/...). It could even be a neat
way to automate catalogueing...

>and how about a  bin for jade & xt?

Under Unix, .../share (the parent of .../share/sgml) only contains
system-independent files ("shared" between multiple architectures).
User-executable binaries are kept together in .../bin, with the
implicit assumption that some OS-level magic may be going on in order
to provide the correct binaries for the platform you're working on.

>Same logic would apply within stylesheets / scripts.
>How to seperate XSL from DSSSL, for those who
>work with both?

stylesheet/docbook-xsl, or stylesheet/xsl/docbook, whatever. Of course one
of the hardest parts of a standard like this is whether to standardize
anything at all - what would the benefits be? If there are no clear
benefits, don't standardize it, is my opinion.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>