Re: SGML entity mgmt stds

Subject: Re: SGML entity mgmt stds
From: Ralph Ferris <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:44:38 -0400
Cees de Groot wrote:

>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:13:06 +0200
>From: Cees de Groot <cg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: SGML entity mgmt stds (was Re: ISUG and DSSSL)

>>Same logic would apply within stylesheets / scripts.
>>How to seperate XSL from DSSSL, for those who
>>work with both?
>>
>stylesheet/docbook-xsl, or stylesheet/xsl/docbook, whatever. Of course one
>of the hardest parts of a standard like this is whether to standardize
>anything at all - what would the benefits be? If there are no clear
>benefits, don't standardize it, is my opinion.

I agree that we don't need to pin things down too exactly - and probably
shouldn't try. I've found though that I have to modify the message I sent
yesterday about directory structure. The file organization used in the
HyBrick distribution, while working when the files are read locally,
doesn't work on our Web site. The required structure is:

|-- sgmldocs
|      |_styles
|      |
|      |_dtd

|-- xmldocs
       |_styles

       |_dtd

In other words, the DTDs and style sheets must be in sub-directories of the
directory containing the instances. A catalog in the *mldocs directory
contains
public->system ids for the DTDs required to process DSSSL style sheets, as
well as for the DTD(s) required to validate document instances. The DTDs of
course are located in the dtd directory. For XML docs, the SGMLDECL
statement in the catalog points to the xml.dcl file in the DTD directory as
well.

Using public ids to identify dtd locations and avoiding system identifiers
are the main guidelines for documents that are to be served over the Web.
There's nothing really new in this. The matter came to my attention though
when trying to download various HTML files with HyBrick.

I found, for example, that James Clark's paper on namespaces starts with
the following:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//SoftQuad Software//DTD HoTMetaL PRO
5.0::19981217::extensions to HTML 4.0//EN" "hmpro5.dtd">

Since James's site doesn't serve hmpro5.dtd, the result is a string of
error messages caused by not having the DTD.  Not a fatal error - given a
stylesheet HyBrick can display without validation - but something to avoid.
Instead, the location of the DTD should be resolvable through a catalog so
it can be downloaded.

Best regards,

Ralph E. Ferris
HyBrick Program Manager