Re: SGML entity mgmt stds

Subject: Re: SGML entity mgmt stds
From: Ralph Ferris <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:57:33 -0400
>Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 06:14:01 -0400
>From: Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: SGML entity mgmt stds
>

>Hi Ralph,
>
>Catalog files can be used to map system identifiers, too. A very
>handy trick:
>
>SYSTEM hmpro5.dtd /path/to/your/version/hmpro5.dtd
>
>or
>
>SYSTEM hmpro5.dtd http://www.softquad.com/wherever/they/publish/it/hmpro5.dtd

Good point Norm.

The mapping still has to be provided though in the catalog on the site from
which the instance document is being downloaded, because it's that catalog,
not one on your local system, that's being used to resolve the DTD's
location. In the future, all sorts of enhancements may be possible, e.g.,
check a cache, check a local catalog, and maybe the main one - don't look
for a DTD at all because we're just doing rendering of a well-formed
document! But then again, we all know there are numerous issues connected
with that last one, centering around providing needed information in the
absence a DTD.

Bottom line: Web site creators/administrators have to take account of
issues that weren't around when their sites were just serving HTML.

Best regards,

Ralph E. Ferris
HyBrick Program Manager
Fujitsu Software Corporation