RE: XSL FOs and DSSSL FOs -- same or similar?

Subject: RE: XSL FOs and DSSSL FOs -- same or similar?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:42:23 -0400
Hi Adam,

I am writing about this stuff, but the documents are very preliminary.
Actually xsl FOs are more similar to CSS than to DSSSL. The rectangular area
concept (in XSL) is more related to the CSS box concept. The visual model of
a paragraph (a DSSL display area) is different than both the CSS box and the
xsl fo rectanguler area. In the last specifications, XSL was brought closer
to CSS. Actually, in the current spec, it is amix of CSS and DSSSL concepts.
I think that both CSS and XSL will share the same visual model.

I did a cut of the same kind of object in the three languages: css block as
in display:block, the XSL fo:block object and the DSSSL paraggraph object.

Here are links to documents (work in progress) about CSS, XSL and the DSSSL
paragraph object.
DSSSL paragraph object: http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/Paragraph.htm
CSS block object: http://www.netfolder.com/CSS/CSSObjects.htm
XSL fo:block object (very preliminary):
http://www.netfolder.com/XSL/XslFo.htm

MY guess is that XSL fo will become more and more like CSS but who knows,
this is still science fiction :-)

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx