page-n-columns in RTF

Subject: page-n-columns in RTF
From: Allan Bowhill <kosmos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:47:04 -0700 (PDT)
Is there any way to implement columns in RTF?

Currently, I am using tables to emulate columns in RTF, and I have worked
myself into a corner. I need two-column documents, that include
multi-column tables within one of the columns.

Doing this with just table flow objects is a no-no becuase tables are not
allowed within tables. But can tables can be placed within columns?

I had a look at the page-n-columns add-on characteristic, but Jade returns
an error that page-n-columns is not a valid charactersitic for
simple-page-sequence.

The documentation (http://www.jclark.com/jade/) states:

page-n-columns
      Value is a strictly positive integer, specifying the number of
columns. The initial value is 1. It applies to
      simple-page-sequence flow objects.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

--Allan

--- test.dsl

<!doctype style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN">

(define page-n-columns
(declare-characteristic
"UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::page-n-columns"))

;;;;; Document element
;;;;;

(element document
        (
	make simple-page-sequence

        page-n-columns: 2
        page-width: 8.5in
        page-height: 11in
        font-family-name: "Arial"
        font-size: 10pt
        left-margin: 1in
        right-margin: 1in
        top-margin: 1in
        bottom-margin: 1in
        footer-margin: .85in
        header-margin: .85in

        (process-children-trim)
        )
)

---

$ jade -t rtf -d test.dsl entities.dtd test.sgm.norm
jade:test.dsl:11:2:E: "page-n-columns:" is not a valid keyword in a make
expression for flow object class "simple-page-sequence"

--- test.sgm.norm

<DOCUMENT FORM.ID="DocumentFormTest" AUTHOR="" DATE="">
<TITLE>Document: Title</TITLE>
<SECTION FORM.ID="SectionFormTest">
<TITLE>Sect: Title</TITLE>
<SUBSECT FORM.ID="SubsectFormTest">
<TITLE>Subsect: Title</TITLE>
<HELP FIELD.ID="HelpFieldID">
<TITLE>Help: Title</TITLE>
<ITEM>
<TITLE>Item Title:</TITLE>
<PARA>This PARA #1 of 2, before table.</PARA>
<PARA>This is PARA #2 of 2, before table</PARA>
<TABLE>
<TGROUP COLS="3">
<TBODY>
<ROW>
<ENTRY>This is cell #1, Row 1</ENTRY>
<ENTRY>This is cell #2, Row 1</ENTRY>
<ENTRY>This is cell #3, Row 1</ENTRY>
</ROW>
<ROW>
<ENTRY>This is cell #1, Row 2</ENTRY>
<ENTRY>This is cell #2, Row 2</ENTRY>
<ENTRY>This is cell #3, Row 2</ENTRY>
</ROW>
</TBODY>
</TGROUP>
</TABLE>
<PARA>This is PARA #1 of 2, after table.</PARA>
<PARA>This is PARA #2 of 2, after table.</PARA>
</ITEM>
</HELP>
</SUBSECT>
</SECTION>